Why Do I Write??

A blog that collects my random thoughts and actions as I negotiate the world of a single woman living alone in a metropolis. I enjoy the aesthetics of quotidian things, and my interests range from sublime to trite. Welcome!!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Unrelated Mid-week Musings



Cafeteria ran out of tea uh! Therefore, this writer is facing a dangerous writer’s fuel crisis. Nevertheless, life has to go on. Let me warm up my brain by solving the wedding gift dilemma for a friend who is getting married soon… I think it will be a great idea to give her hubby a checklist (yes!! I am good at it and of course few would love to agree)… So I start with a small MR (read Marriage Research) in the cafeteria during lunch hour to know the married female psyche, and to my utter surprise I find out that such a checklist already exists and is out and floating on the net. So all I do is to skim and cut the text to fit my friend’s life to T.
Well the name of the game is ‘How to take care of your ‘brand new’ wife’ and it starts with
“In the world, one single rule applies to the men:Make the Woman happy. Do something she likes and you get brownie points. Do something she dislikes and points are subtracted. You don't get any points for doing something she expects. Sorry, that's the way the game is played. Here is a guide to the point system”…

I specially liked these two pointers, they make so much sense no?

ENJOY THE 'BIG' QUESTION
-- She asks, "Do I look fat?" (-5) [Yes, you LOSE points no matter WHAT]
-- You hesitate in responding (-10)
-- You reply, "Where?" (-35)
-- Any other response (-20)

COMMUNICATION
-- When she wants to talk about a problem , you listen, displaying what
looks like a concerned expression (0)
-- You listen, for over 30 minutes (+50)
-- You listen for more than 30 minutes without looking at the TV (+500)
-- She realizes this is because you have fallen asleep (-10000)

Today, while I was doing my very own MR, friends came up with their private woes and marking systems. Funny eh! Shopping topped the charts..well well I have more than one reason to talk about it today. Maybe it will just help me drill some sense(shall I call it logic) into the ‘infamous Mars and Venus shopping imbroglio’.Here’s what I have to say:

Starting with Mars side of the story(as told by a friend):

The primary objective for a man when he shops for clothes -- is to purchase clothes that fit on his particular body(read-purely functional). He knows exactly what brand he wears and knows his size well. So a man will try on a pair of pants, and if those pants are too small, he will try on a larger pair, and when he finds a pair that fits, he buys them. Trouser bought. Shopping done.

Now let the Venus speak:

The situation is very different with us women. When we women shop for clothes, our primary objective is not to find clothes that fit our particular body, in short it’s not functional at all. Because it's not just about the clothes. It's about being inspired. It's about being indulgent. It's about being selective. It's about finding styles for all occasions. It's about finding styles for our work-life, our play-life, our life-life. It's about us. (refer pic. top right)


Hands up! enough science and logic for a writer in a day …not sure, if I made any sense at all but I’m in dire need to revive my tired senses through retail therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home