Why Do I Write??

A blog that collects my random thoughts and actions as I negotiate the world of a single woman living alone in a metropolis. I enjoy the aesthetics of quotidian things, and my interests range from sublime to trite. Welcome!!

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Hit by nostalgia!

My mother chose to send me to an all-girls school run by gentle nuns in this then sleepy town of Lucknow. She hoped that I would turn into a polite and polished young woman, much like an admired childhood friend of hers. I don't know if my convent school education turned me into the person my mother had envisioned but I certainly knew that I stood out among my peers, the good little Bong girls in the Lucknow of the eighties. First, I had a highly competitive spirit; second, I turned into an outspoken tomboy, much to the consternation of my mother. While my brother recited Sanskrit shlokas (prayers) at assembly, I knew the Lord's prayer by heart. Only the compulsory school dress bugged me no end.

I was free of the rigid dress code once I graduated from school but the college years are just a blurred memory. The days passed in a haze of classes, and exams, weighed down by the stress of doing well academically, a burden familiar to children of all middle class families whose only inheritance is a good education. The thought of how much my clothes and accessories contributed to my identity did not seem important enough to register in my overloaded teenage brain...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home